Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Bullet of Human Nature: Evil Tendencies

Will it ever end? Don’t bet on it until Christ comes again and gives us His perfect Kingdom! I’m talking about “misunderstanding” and all the attached frustrations and bitterness that accompanies the same.

Everyone talks about love, forgiveness, patience and understanding, but relatively few folks show any passion to do anything about it. Even when we want to “forgive and forget” we seem powerless to pull it off. We forgive who we want and resent who we want! The result is enemies, insult, verbal abuse and bitterness.

All of this comes about because man in general doesn’t understand the human situation. We keep laboring under that false and erroneous notion that man is “basically good.” In no uncertain terms the Bible teaches that “man is basically bad although he wants to be good.” Paul, Christianity’s most outstanding saint, confirms this when he says in Romans 7:19 … “the good I wish I do not, but I practice the very evil I do not wish.” This is my own experience and that of everyone I have ever known.

This ignorance of man’s basic “evil tendency” is the bed rock of all of our disappointments, delusions and unfulfilled expectations. Even Jesus didn’t put His confidence in men because He knew the basic evil of their hearts (John 2:24).

No comments: