Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Thanksgiving Reminder
By Ruth Ann Stites

My local public library is a community asset. On any normal weekday, to walk through the door is to see the diversity of people in my growing town, to undertake a treasure hunt through its well stocked shelves, or to be captivated by the effortless movements of a golden eyed, bright yellow tropical fish who lives in the children’s area aquarium. A century of service is represented in this institution, giving continuity to the learning, entertainment, and inspiration found here. The library is a material benefit with a lot of power to affect people – body, mind, and spirit.

This library is familiar, sometimes exasperating when I fail to find what I want, almost always busy. Some days I hurry in, grab a title, and race away. Other times I have the leisure to browse or sit and relax. I usually take my city library for granted; it’s just one of the places I go regularly in my busy schedule.

This Thanksgiving has reminded me to appreciate my library. It has also pointed out a truth about the holiday: We need to be reminded to focus our attention on the good things in our lives for which we are thankful.

This truth applies to spiritual as well as material benefits. We have so many good things in our lives because of Christ. We need to be continually reminded to stop and be thankful for Him at Thanksgiving and on every other day of the year!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving from all of us at Ventures for Christ.

No comments: