Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Bullet of Faith: Adding One Upon Another

Many people today believe in God with their heads. They believe He is there; they’re not agnostics or atheists. They believe the world is held together pretty much by what He allows and doesn’t allow. Many folks go on to have a trust in their hearts for God. They aren’t against Him; they are for Him. But this is not enough to have real faith … the kind of faith that changes a man, the kind of faith that brings excitement, the kind of faith that makes life an intoxicating adventure. No, these things come only when the third aspect of faith is realized and acted upon. There must be a commitment of the will to what we say we believer and trust or else there is no real faith. Remember the words of Jesus, “Happy is the man who hears and does what I say.”

For years I believed that water skiing would really be fun. I trusted that the skis and the water would hold me up, but it wasn’t until I committed myself to a ski, a lake and an end of rope tied to the end of a motor boat that I began to experience the thrills and joys of water skiing. Authentic Christian faith is just like that – action must be added to belief and trust before it is experienced.

No comments: