Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Bullet of Loneliness: Missing an Opportunity

Let’s zero in on a critical subject we all deal with more than we care to admit … loneliness. "Experts" tell us that loneliness is American’s greatest "mental disease." One of America’s most listened to teachers defines loneliness this way, "First, loneliness is the anguish I feel when I sense that I am being cut off from the spirit of others. Second, loneliness is the evidence that I was expecting others to meet my needs as only God can." The Word of God speaks to the first definition in Psalm 69:20, "I am full of heaviness, I looked for someone to lament with me; but there was none; I looked for comforters but I found no one."

Psalm 62: speaks to the second experience, "My soul waits only upon God for my expectation is from Him." Loneliness means that at the moment I am lonely, God feels the same anguish toward me because my basic delight of life is not in Him.

No comments: