Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Bullet of The Abundant Life: The Feast

Recently, while eating at a smorgasbord, I was struck afresh with a fantastic new thought about our Lord.

As I walked through the line, I know my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Three salads looked great, but I could take only one! Two meats were my favorite, but I could take only one. They happened to have four delicious desserts … strawberry shortcake, chocolate meringue pie, tapioca pudding and lemon ice box pie … oh, what tempting confusion! Of course I couldn’t take all of them. I could take only one! The blazing lesson was that there was far more there than I could ever take!

How true this is of our Lord! He offers to all of us more than we could ever use! Our pitiful little spiritual receptacles are forever inadequate to drink totally of His bounty. I don’t mean to be irreverent, but just as God offers us a smorgasbord in the natural realm ... night, day, sea, mountains, male, female, youth old-age, etc. … so He does likewise in the spiritual realm.

It’s senseless to compare the beauty of the mountains and the beauty of the seashore. What insanity to debate the glory of Hawaii verses the grandeur of New England. What futility to argue for the taste of steak over ice cream.

All of the above have their place for a person’s taste at the proper time. The variety of our choices is what adds brilliance to life. God can comprehend them all at once. We mortals can scarce take them one at a time!

Those of us who are thirsty for God’s reality should comfort ourselves in knowing that the Father has offered us more than we could ever experience in a hundred lifetimes. Likewise, we shouldn’t be critical of our fellow searchers who have chosen a spiritual dessert or main course different from ours.

All of us can go “through the line.” We don’t have to depend on others to make our selections for us. Nor should we be critical of their appetites and selections! The Father only wants to give us what is good! So long as we select something He has given us in Jesus Christ we can’t go wrong!

Welcome to the feast!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And how we live is directly driven by our view of Who God Is. Good series, HD.