Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Bullet of Truth: "What Can I Do?"

We live the best life possible when we base our decisions only on what is authentic – the truth. We live the worst life possible when we base our thoughts and actions on what is false – the lie. The person who experiences the maximum positive meaning for these years on earth is the one with the most earnest and unrelenting passion for truth … Christ’s truth. The following is one of my most exciting finds in God’s treasury of truth.

Sometimes I tend to despair over all the tensions and problems of life that bombard my mind. If you love living, love people and love our world like I do, I’m sure you share my sense of being "overwhelmed." I’ve often asked myself, in light of the world’s dilemmas, "What can I do? I’m just one little man!" I mentioned that to the Lord one morning in my prayer time, and His answer nearly blew me away!

"What can you do?" I sensed Him saying as He threw the question back to me. Then, as clearly as I’ve ever felt the Lord tell me something, a new liberating message began to wash through my mind. "H.D., you can do everything I want you to do. Nothing more and nothing less!" The Greek puts it clearly and emphatically to Peter and to each of us in John 21:22: You Me Follow!

My heart was suddenly captured with a new exhilaration for contented action and an overwhelming peace for whatever was ahead of me. Terrorism, the national economic crisis, continued unrest in the Middle East, nations in revolution, the culture war, the church, politics, the terror of AIDS or the American tragedy of abortion, etc., etc. are no longer the biggest issues in my life. Neither are some of the less dramatic and smaller demands and duties which seemed to dominate so much of my time and thinking. Mowing the yard, paying the IRS, taking out the garbage, changing the oil in the car, mailing in the monthly bills, making a run to the grocery store and post office, the honey dos, or keeping up with my modest little investments, etc., etc. are just some of the "everythings" that the Father is pleased for me to accomplish. Seeing the Father’s purpose in it all can easily be missed. That purpose is to use every event in your life … big or small … as a microphone for His Voice. To hear and yield to His Voice is the biggest thing little people can do and it covers all the bases!

1 comment:

Jim said...

So very true of my life. When I recognize that He is even in the "small" stuff of my life, I experience great freedom and His divine will more personally. Thanks for sharing!