Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Bullet of Satisfaction: Insidious Greed

A certain Quaker, in order to impress a lesson upon his neighbors, put up a sign on a vacant piece of ground next to his house which read, “I will give this lot to anyone who is really satisfied.” A wealthy farmer read the sign and said to himself, “Since my Quaker friend is going to give this piece of land away, I might as well have it as anyone one else. I am rich. I have all I need, so I am well able to qualify.” He went up to the door and explained to the aged Quaker why he had come. “And is thee really satisfied?” asked the owner of the lot. “I surely am,” was the reply. “I have all I need, and I am well satisfied.” “Friend,” said the other, “if thee is satisfied, then what does thee want with my lot?”

Jesus addressed the problem of greed many times during His three and a half year ministry. In fact, it was a major issue in His teachings. In Luke 12:15, the apostle records our Lord’s words, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist (hold together, adhere, stick firmly, subsist) in the abundance of his possessions.” Our rule should be to want nothing more and expect noting more except what our Lord desires of us or gives to us. Only that kind of Disciple knows satisfaction in its fullness.

No comments: