Thursday, April 12, 2007

Energy Crisis, More Than the Price of Gasoline
Here is an intriguing headline from an article on the current energy crisis from money.cnn.com.
How to beat the high cost of gasoline. Forever.
(By Adam Lashinsky, FORTUNE senior writer, January 24, 2006)

This story is about one kind of energy crisis but there is a more important one.

A real “energy crisis” is within us! A statement by Paul centuries ago is still as true today as it was then. “The good things I want to do never seem to materialize. In fact, I find myself actually doing the things I hate” (Romans 7:19). This is the story of my life. If you’re honest, I’ll bet it’s your story too. This isn’t to say we never do anything good. There are thousands of good people doing good things. But man can’t be happy just doing good things. Why? Because man was made to do the best thing. He/she can never be happy or fulfilled without doing his/her best. Remember, the good is usually the worst enemy of the best.

I am constantly aware that even though I’d doing many good things, I’m failing to do some things that would be better. Better to visit my neighbor, than watch TV another evening. But I don’t. Better to work a little less and spend more time with my family. But I don’t. Better to get my body in shape by exercise and eating less. But I don’t. The list could go on for pages.

Where do I get the power to begin breaking the habits I hate and yet feel guilty about justifying? This is the “energy crisis” to which each of us should give priority! What makes Jesus Christ so fantastically appealing to me, and to thousands of other, is that He demonstrated a life lives always at its best. The even greater news is that He promises us “our share” of God’s energy for our own “life at its best!” “For to all who receive (accept, rely on, believer) Him, He gives power to become the sons of God” (John 1:12).

In short, the “spiritual energy crisis” is far more critical than any “physical energy crisis.” Physical energy won’t help a person who is spiritually miserable, bored with the good and hungry for the best. The reason serious Christians are so excited is that God has begun to rewire them for maximum living! Power to live life at its best! Energy for breaking hated habits! If you’re missing it, perhaps your connection is loose. Or worse still, better check to see if you’re even plugged in! I’m for solving “both” energy crises. How about you?

No comments: