Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Bullet of Joy: It’s What We Want

What is the source of true joy? Have you ever seriously asked yourself that question? Certainly one of man’s primary pursuits is joy and happiness! How are you doing?

In a nationwide survey among High School students, the question was asked, “What are the three things you want most out of life?” The answers were far from unanimous but the three desires most prominent in order were (1) love, (2) joy and (3) peace. I believe it’s more than coincidence that the Apostle Paul lists the first three fruits of obeying the Holy Spirit (in Galatians 5:22) as love, joy and peace!!

Every week I hear comments from people admitting the emptiness, shallowness and joylessness of life. The prophet Isaiah (Isaiah 55:2) spoke of this problem in the 8th Century B.C. when he asked, “Why do you spend your money for what won’t really feed you? And why squander your wages on what doesn’t satisfy?” In the dry seasons of my own life … and who hasn’t had them … I’ve asked myself why I feel so down! Nothing seems to really excite me! Everything is so routine.

It seems I always tend to think of what’s wrong rather than what’s right! Folks can have ninety-nine good things happen and one bad and what do they concentrate on? Almost always the one bad!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dr. McCarty,
I enjoyed your blog today. I have spent time thinking of the the fruits of the spirit. I believe everything that I desire is found there. Interesting that the fruits have nothing to do with money, fame, long life or even an easy life. God knows what we need even if we don't recognize it.