Thursday, March 29, 2007


Palm Sunday

One of the greatest joys of my Christian life has been the memorizing of Scripture. It’s harder now that I am getting older, but scores of the verses I memorized earlier come back again and again to give me strength and insight. I would have to say that one of the biggest mistakes of my following Christ is to not be diligent in hiding the Word of God in my heart (Psalm 119:9-10). I hope all of my readers will consider these verses with a new intensity.

I memorized a new verse recently that ties into the celebration of Palm Sunday … that day 2000 year ago when Jesus Christ entered Jerusalem to the praise of hallelujahs of thousands. Only a few days later these same voices would cry for His crucifixion!

Zechariah 9:9 says, “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion. Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, your King comes to you; He is just and brings salvation, He is humble, riding on a donkey …”

Think of the humility of God … coming to us not at the head of an army dressed in splendor, but in the common everyday cloths on a donkey! Even earlier, John the Baptist announced Jesus as the Lamb of God, the humble, sacrificial lamb!

Yet all true Christians know that someday Christ will again return to earth, not meekly or humbly seeking our attention, but as reigning, triumphant, conquering King. He will judge and put right the veil of selfishness of all mankind.

I picked up the newspaper this morning and almost despaired as I read page after page reporting human failure. I almost wept as I saw story after story of evil, hurt, wounds, murder, injustice and hopelessness. Will men and women ever learn that they cannot conquer that which destroys them without the power of God?

Yes, Jesus came to earth first as a lamb. But the Scripture clearly declares that He will come for a second visit, this time as a victorious lion rather than as a suffering and patient lamb.

Fight on, those of you who love the Master! Jesus and His church may look like a lamb for the present, but let me assure you, the day of the lion is coming!! I especially like to think about that on Palm Sunday!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, Rabbi. As always, the Lord has blessed you with beautiful insights into Himself and His matchless Word. After all these years, you continue to bless me in so many ways and I wanted you to know. :)

May the Lord Jesus richly bless Shirley and you today. And, may these coming years be the most productive of your lives. To Him be all the glory!

In Jesus' Matchless Love,
Tom S.