Thursday, March 08, 2007

Listen Up!

In the last few years there has been a great deal of discussion about pollution of every sort, and rightly so. The facet of this problem which I find most interesting is noise pollution. We are told by the experts that the collection of noises one encounters daily can cause all sorts of problems. For instance, noise makes one nervous. In fact, it is suggested that the dinner table be a quiet place, for noise can bring about poor digestion. We are told that teenagers who listen to excessively loud noises often suffer hearing loss. Noise is just not healthy.

It is interesting to note that when God inspired King David to write Psalm 46 roughly three thousand years ago, the problem of “noise pollution” was mentioned. The first part of verse ten reads, “Be still and know that I am God.”

The problem then, as now, was noise. For you see, man knows whether or not his relationship to the Father is what it should be. This is one of the jobs of the Holy Spirit … to convict (or tell) man of his sin (the cause of his fractured relationship with the Father). You and I don’t always want to hear this. We all know people who hear only what they want to hear and block out what they don’t like. Well, we oftentimes are like this with God. He speaks and since we can’t ignore Him, we try to drown Him out!

When we are alone we automatically turn on the radio or TV. We don’t like for it to be quiet. But God, in His concern for each one of us, says “be still,” or turn off all that noise so you can hear Me and then you will know or realize that I am God. I AM who I say I AM, and by virtue of this fact (not fable as some noise makers want to believe), I promise to be all you need if you’ll but listen and act on what I say.

One of the most refreshing experience of existence is to stop in the middle of all our frustration, perplexity, confusion and doubts and take time to listen to God. Jesus Christ didn’t come from Heaven and live on earth to keep us guessing about God’s purpose and power for our lives. Listen to Him!

If the noise of the world is creeping up on you, why not start listening to God? I can assure you He’s got something to say just for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

H, why didn't I know you were blogging? Do you ever stop by ours? I haven't read a word yet, but I will. I found you through Beth (Davidson) Burkhalter's blog, after she emailed us because she found our blog.

Much love.

Anonymous said...

OK, now I've read a post. This one. Fantastic. We fill our lives with noise so that we don't have to listen to the conviction or live in the reality of how fallen our lives are. We often want to do anything but stop and take a deep breath and assess whether we are where God would want us to be. Rather than resting in the Lord, God's solution, we busy ourselves with radio, TV, blogging, kids' sports, commuting, work, cell phones, blackberries, and the like.

And, what is the rest of Psalm 46:10? Ahhhh, "I will be exalted among the Nations; I will be exalted on the earth.!!!"