Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Bullet of Growth: Three Principles


There are three principles of growth that are inescapable! If you are to make progress in any area of endeavor you must first, gain knowledge; second, faith-act on that knowledge; and third, patiently allow time to work.

For instance, when I learned to fly for the Air Force, I first had to know something about the principles of flight and the airplane. Second, I faith-acted on this knowledge by pushing the throttle, pulling the stick, kicking the rudder, coordinating the instruments … these initial efforts at “acting” on my “knowledge” were very uncoordinated, rather sloppy and amateurish, and brought on the wrath of my cussing instructor whose expletives I will delete. Only the third principle, time, allowed my to practice (act on) my knowledge until I mastered the challenges of flying and received my wings as a pilot. It was a great moment!

All of life’s pursuits demand the same threefold process … knowledge, faith-acting and time. A doctor, student, pianist, salesman, repairman, coach, bookkeeper, typist, etc., and any other job, form the simplest to the most complex … demands knowledge (content), faith-acts (application), and time (experience)!

No comments: