Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Bullet of Focus: A Four-fold Formula

How does a Christian deal with conflict and controversy? I offer a four-fold formula of life to combat the pressures of daily living – take your reading, take your stand, share your truth and wait on God.

First, just as a quarterback reads the defense before he calls a play all of us must do the best we can to understand what’s really going on in this beleaguered world of war, conflict, death and error. Awareness increases with experience, but based on what I know (read) today, I make my evaluation.

Second, evaluation leads to daily decisions. I know my plans and responses are not perfect, but I’ll do my best with the light I have. “This is where I stand on this issue today” should be my attitude.

Third, I’ll share the truth I’ve discovered with anyone who cares to listen and as the Lord gives me opportunity.

Fourth, I’ll wait on God to vindicate me or correct me as He teaches me how to “read life” better.

Joseph of Egypt followed this pattern and is the man most like Jesus in the Old Testament. When he could have condemned his brothers, he refused to do so and declared, “Am I in the place of God? You meant evil against me, but God meant it for good! (Genesis 50:19-20)”

Conflict and controversy on this fallen and error-gripped planet are inevitable. The situation will drive us to despair or drive us to God. I’ve made my choice and developed my plan. How about you?

No comments: