Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Bullet of Direction: A Magnificent Obsession


One of the first things I learned after accepting the Lord Jesus as my Savior was that I should have a personal vision for Christ and for His purposes on the earth. The man who led me to the Lord was associated with a group of Christians called Navigators. Their motto was “to know Christ and to make Him known.” I’ve fought to make these words the ambition and aspiration of my life.


I’ve learned that a Christian can either labor in the energy of the flesh or in the anointing of the Spirit. Only God will reveal to us our true motives when we stand before Him. I have no doubt that I love the Savior more now than ever. I want to be totally His man with His message - in any place, time, and way that will please Him. I see the delusions, shams, and trivialities of this fallen world so very clearly, and I know man’s only hope is in a personal, radical pursuit of knowing God’s Word and giving “sprit obedience” to its truth. I gladly confess my own inadequacies, failures, and weaknesses because they bring me to see my desperate need of Christ in all things.


The doctrine of weakness before God (2 Corinthians 12) has been one of my focuses. It’s only when we discover how weak we really are that we are motivated – even propelled – to seek our only source of strength, release and peace: Jesus. The goal is to know experientially, what it means to be “in Christ.” If our hope as Christians is to have the greatest impact for the Messiah, then each of us must be caught up in this magnificent obsession.

No comments: