Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Bullet of Scripture: Certitude is More Than Enough

Those of us who have experienced the reality of knowing Christ through “re-creation” have found that the Scriptures are simply His “love letter” to us through His chosen writers. Although God’s truth passed through the small capacities of these flawed, partial people, who cannot give us “certainty,” and because of our own ignorance, denseness and limitations to grasp “certainty,” the Lord chose … and still chooses … other people to help give us “certitude.”

The Scriptures have met the test of 3500 years of attack and vilification yet have given more evidence of certitude than any other philosophical, scientific or theological option available to mankind. Once a person reads the Book, the Holy Spirit will use the opportunity to open his or her eyes to the glorious truth it holds. Such is the joint witness of millions over the centuries who have found their certitude in Jesus Christ! They claim enough “certitude” to be as “certain” as a person can be!

What is your certitude? It’s being as certain as you can be about a matter without being able to prove it as certain. There is no way I can prove to anyone that the love I have for my wife, children and grandchildren is “certain.” I may resent them all in my heart and no one but me will know how I truly feel.

However! If you examine all the positive things I say about them, do for them, give to them, seek to be with them and sacrifice for them, etc. you will find enough “certitudes” to conclude that it is almost “certain” that I love my family! And that is enough to build a life on!

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12

No comments: