Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Bullet of Repentance: Treasure Among the Shards

When we give judgment into God’s hands, what remains for the rest of us is simple. Quit focusing on the other person’s obnoxiousness and failures and start seeking the lesson of truth for yourself. I recall watching a televangelist on TV one morning some years ago I had a hard time accepting. As I watched him again for a few minutes, I was repulsed and dismayed. His manner, his arrogance, his manipulative appeal to send your “seed money” to him, his affectedness, his delivery, his expressions, etc., left me amazed that he had developed such a following. His promise that you can “command” all you want for yourself from God is, in my view, a sick kind of theology.

I must confess, however, that in spite of all that was objectionable to me in this brother, there were a few principles, centered in Scripture, that spoke to my heart and mind. I didn’t need to believe God for the “goodies” he urged, but I knew I needed to believe God in a bigger way for other things.

No comments: