Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The Bullet of Truth: Feeling Verses Obedience

The extremes that we humans go to in order to avoid truth is amazing. Take the old bit that says, “I’m not going to do something for God when I really don’t feel like it because I don’t want to be a hypocrite.”

This pretense of truth is sickening. Example: “I’m not going to pretend to love her when I can’t stand her!” or “I don’t go to church unless my heart is in it.” (God commands us to go anyway.) Some of us have convinced ourselves that if we do what’s right and we really don’t “feel like it” it makes us a hypocrite!

Nonsense! It makes you a person of courage over timidity, will over emotions, right over wrong, love over laziness, compassion over self-interest!

Washington didn’t feel like crossing the ice-clogged Delaware River on a Christmas night during a wild storm. This act didn’t prove him a hypocrite, but a soldier of courage and daring. Jesus didn’t feel like being crucified. That He voluntarily allowed it didn’t prove Him a hypocrite, but the obedient son of God.

No comments: