Thursday, May 03, 2007

“God” and “gods”, Part 2

All of us have our idols – that on which our affections are passionately set. Most of you would be honest enough to agree with me that your idols or gods have not brought you deep and lasting satisfaction. The new car or house, the trip, the raise, marriage, even a baby, will not ultimately satisfy one’s greatest, deepest hunger.

The Scripture tells us that not “gods” but only “God” is the answer and goal of life. “The poor deluded fool feeds on ashes; he is trusting what can never give him any help at all; yet he cannot bring himself to ask, ‘Is this thing, this idol that I’m holding in my hand, a lie?’” (Isaiah 44:20).

I know many folks around town who have held a lot of idols and are still holding onto them. They keep up the activities, they’re involved in everything and anything (even religion), they keep thinking the next experience, the next possession, the next goal realized, will really give them that great “kick” of life which has so far eluded them. But it never happens!

I’m not judging anyone. Old H.D. McCarty has played the fool as much as anyone else. In fact, I still feel the pull. I do know one thing though: of all the things I’ve ever experienced or possessed, only one has really delivered what was promised and what I really desired – that one thing is my personal knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Religion is man’s search for “god.” Christianity is not a religion, for it is God’s quest for man! Why not take inventory? What is your “god?” Or better still, why not give yourself to “God?” It will make a fantastic difference in your life.

No comments: