Thursday, August 24, 2006

“I Hate Religion”

As a young Christian I can still remember one of my leaders shocking me with the words, “I hate religion.” Since he was a marvelous example of Christ-likeness, I couldn’t understand his statement. In my ignorance I though of Christianity as a religion. In the passing of the years I have learned that there is an enormous gap between them. So broad, in fact, that I find myself saying the same thing, “I hate religion.”

Religion is one of our worst words as commonly used and understood. The dictionary sums up religion as “any system of faith and worship.” Christianity is not a religion by that definition because it is a Person before it is a system. To seek of and be involved in church, the Bible, religious, denominations, theology, etc., before one has discovered God is an experiment in futility.

Religion reduces God to man’s own level. All of us in our spiritual pride seek to “domesticate Deity” for our own convenience and conscience. We develop our own religion apart from God’s truth. Faith, no matter how sincere, without Truth is an illusion.

Christ the Son, Jesus the Man, is the only One to ever tell us of God beyond our labels, creeds, and religions. Happy are those who see Him and follow Him!

No comments: