Thursday, April 22, 2010

Spiritual Combat Alert # 3: Preaching and the Face of Jesus


I have already spoken of the three levels of content preaching … what, why and Who. The what and the why preaching are necessary to the growth of a Disciple, but the payoff and goal of transforming vision is Who preaching. “Sir, we would see Jesus!” (John 12:21).

There are also, in my view, three levels of method preaching. Some proclaimers of the Gospel mostly “preach at” the congregation. They tell you what’s going on, what the Bible means, to get things right and to do it now! And there are times we need to hear it!

The second method is what I call “share with” preaching. These exegetes of Scripture simply truth talk with you about the processes of the Gospel and how truth works in our lives and in the world! We also need to hear that!

The third level is the one I hunger for. I have labeled it “point to” preaching. These are the messages that seem to pull back the curtain or open the veil so that we can see our Blessed Christ Jesus in a fresh or new light. We are drawn to a more wondrous realization, a sweeter awe and a deeper praise for the magnificence of all our Messiah Savior truly is. I call these times of eager listening and heart hearing “transfiguration touches.” I seem to be carried to the Mount of Transfiguration with Peter, James and John and with them “see Jesus only!” (Matt. 17:8). I believe we need to hear this the most!

I can’t help but to continually ask the same question those astounded first Disciples asked. Remember when they were with Him in the boat on the Sea of Galilee and the Master “calmed the great storm”? This miracle moved them from fear to Awe! “Who is this “man” … that even the seas and the wind obey Him?” (Mark 4:41). Their response to His power was not based on exploring the “what of it” or discussing the “why of it.” They wanted to know the “Who of it.” They recognized that the answers to the whats and whys is Who! “Who” was this “Man” to be able to do such things and Who wanted them with Him while He did it?

Oh, I need some “preaching at.” The Lord knows my “flesh” needs to be rebuked and disciplined. I need to be called up short on my self-pity, my prayerlessness, my lethargy, my ignorance of Scripture, my lack of cross seeking, etc. We all need to pray, “Help me Master!” (I Tim. 3:16).

I also need the “share with” messages of comfort, encouragement and understanding. We all need a few of our leaders telling us we are doing better or have done well! (Isaiah 40:1-2). How grateful we are when one of His messengers teaches us about “the fellowship of His suffering” (Phil. 3”10-11). “Thank You Master!”

But, above all, I need large doses of “point to” preaching! It is then when the messenger is so filled with adoration, Scripture, brokenness, transparency and hunger for more of the Lord Jesus that new horizons of Godhead wonder penetrate my mind and flood my heart! I find my lips repeating the words of the beloved Apostle John, “Amen! Come Lord Jesus!” (Rev. 22:20). Those are the moments when we can all say, “Praise You, Master!”

Let me close with a true story about my beloved mentor, J. Sidlow Baxter. When he graduated from Spurgeon’s Seminary in London in 1928, he went to pastor in Northampton, 60 miles west of the city. During those early years, many people who passed through his ministry had heard England’s most popular preachers in the late 1800’s and following. The most outstanding, of course, was Charles Haden Spurgeon of London’s Metropolitan Tabernacle. He is recognized as one of the most outstanding preachers of all time. His sermons were published world wide. He went to be with Christ in 1892!

Sidlow would query everyone he could about these great preachers they had heard. He told me he loved their comments and it gave him an insightful and wondrous perspective.

He would ask a couple, “What did you think of J.H. Jowett (1863-1923)?”

Their response would be, “Oh, what a master of the English language. He was brilliant and had the gift of making things crystal clear!”

Or he would ask someone else: “What was your impression of F.B. Mayer (1847-1929)?”

They would almost always comment, “He had a wondrous ability to make the Scriptures come alive and stir our hearts with Truth we had never seen before!”

Or he would say: “Tell me about Mr. Moody!” (Dwight L. Moody (1837-1899), the famous American evangelist.) Those who had heard him would respond, “Oh, what fire, what a broken heart, what zeal, what wit and warmth! He lacked some polish, but he certainly had the power of the Lord when he preached!”

Sid told me he asked about other notable pulpiteers and received many various answers. Yet when he came to Spurgeon, the answers seemed all the same. When they spoke of the “Governor” … his English nickname … there almost always would be a pause and brief reflection, “Oh, the Gov’ner … when Mr. Spurgeon preached it was like hearing the Lord Jesus Himself speaking to your heart!”

Isn’t that it? We know the Lord uses all kinds of preachers, with all kinds of messages and methods, with all kinds of strengths and weaknesses, with all levels of faith and flaws! What grace! Yet rejoicing that the Lord can and will use it all to His glory, we all still hunger for the ultimate … to find for ourselves … the “Who” of His Presence! How fulfilled are those who find “Jesus only” flooding their being, capturing their minds and pouring His love into their hearts! (Rom. 5:5).

“This is My Son, Whom I love; with Him I AM well pleased. Listen to Him!” (Matt. 17:5). Yes! Listen to Jesus! The “Who” of the Godhead!

No comments: