Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Bullet of Breath and Sound: Let the Wind Get You

If I were to name the dozen greatest sermons I’ve ever heard, there is no doubt I would include what I call “The Wind Sermon.” This isn’t the title given by the preacher, but it will always be my title. The speaker was a short, little black pastor from out-of-state; about 400 white preachers sat before him at one of our Little Rock conventions. This was in the late ‘60’s when the race issue was front and center! Unfortunately, it still is, in a different way!

Manuel Scott must have been about 5 feet 4 inches, wore large suspenders and spoke distinctly with anointed authority. His text was John 3. This is where Jesus taught a religious leader about the necessity of being “born again” by the Spirit in order to experience a second birth! I can still recall the beauty with which he read the text that gave us the stunning words of Jesus: “The wind blows where it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” Then he added, “When the Spirit gets you, my brothers, He changes you!”

During the sermon there were many high points eliciting laughter, amens and even tears. At each of these points Manuel would stretch out his suspenders, release them, and we could all see and hear them popping back against his chest. This natural rhythm of his sermon, the strength of his unique vocabulary, the power of his emotions, as well as the impact of the truth, mesmerized the congregation. He had us in the palm of his hand as he painted a picture of our magnificent Jesus telling us about “the Wind.”

I didn’t see how he could conclude the message on a higher note than we had already heard. How a preacher ends his sermon, wraps it up, lifts his hearers one final time, etc., is critical if the truth shared is to have its most impactive and lasting effect. The Reverend Manuel Scott was more than up for the challenge. He concluded:

“As I end this message, I know many of my white brothers here must be asking themselves, ‘How did this little black man become the preacher of the hour and all of us white folk are sitting here listening to him? Especially with all these civil rights issues, the social conflicts and the prejudice and violence, how can this little black preacher become my teacher?’ It seems like a miracle was happening in the middle of Arkansas. I find myself using the words of that Virgin Mother-to-be when told by the angel she would give birth to Jesus. Remember her response, ‘How can these things be?’”

“Let me explain that to you, my brothers!”

“I recall as though it were yesterday growing up as a little black boy in Waco, Texas. Now we black people knew one thing for sure … we needed to learn to “keep our place” in society. I remember my Momma telling me, ‘Now, Manuel, I don’t want you walking on that Baylor Campus … that’s where smart and rich white people live and study! A poor, little black boy like you needs to stay away from there and leave those white folks alone! You don’t have any business walking on that campus!’”

“So I never walked on that campus while I was growing up. Us black folks knew how to keep our place when it comes to white folks! That was one of my greatest lessons as a little boy. Leave those white folks alone and stay out of their way!”

“So what on earth am I doing here today?” (The suspenders snapped.) “How can we explain a little black preacher telling you white preachers about Jesus?” (Suspenders snap.)

“There is one simple answer to that my brothers … and only one answer! ” (Pause.)

“The Wind Got Me!”

At that moment the suspenders snapped again! At exactly the same time the Wind of the Spirit swept the congregation! I remember instantaneous applauding! With tears running down my cheeks, I was immersed in the Presence of our Overcoming Lord. It’s now been over forty years since I “heard” “the sound” of that message! Yet the truth of it is as vibrant and vital to my mind, emotions and heart today as when “the Wind” blew on me then … if not more so!

How often I have prayed in these intervening years, “Oh, Lord Jesus, let Your Wind get me! Please carry me to Your places for me that I have never dreamed of.” This is my prayer for you also, my dear readers. May “the Wind” get you … and me … again … again … and again!

Our highest hopes, most significant overcomings, deepest contentment and fragrant spiritual fruit will come only … “When The Wind Gets Us.”

Under the pressure of “the Wind” I have rediscovered one of the old, great hymns of the church. I never sang it much, but now the words have “breathed” fresh wonder and desire into my life. Frankly, it was never one of my favorites, but “the Wind” has changed it for me. In fact “the Wind of the Spirit” and the “Breath of our Lord” will change everything … in us, around us and above us. I repeat the hymn here … for your edification … and again for mine. May you ponder each word and phrase prayerfully and thoughtfully. Think of the reality behind each stanza! May the breath of the Wind of the Godhead catch us all with increasing force.

Breathe on Me Breath of God

Text: Edwin Hatch, 1835-1889 and Music: Robert Jackson, 1842-1914


Breathe on me, Breath of God,

fill me with life anew,

that I may love what thou dost love,

and do what thou wouldst do.


Breathe on me, Breath of God,

until my heart is pure,

until with thee I will one will,

to do and to endure.


Breathe on me, Breath of God,

till I am wholly thine,

till all this earthly part of me

glows with thy fire divine.


Breathe on me, Breath of God,

so shall I never die,

but live with thee the perfect life

of thine eternity.

This final thought on breath and breathing, wind and spirit, air and sound as it concerns the power of His Voice. I urge all of you … as I discipline myself … to face the winds of God. Put yourself where the wind blows and trust Him to carry you. You can feel His breath from time in praise, time in yielding, time in Scripture, time in prayer, time in thought exchange (yours for His) and all the other “times” that bring us closer to Him. “The Wind will always get you” when you drink His cup, carry His cross and share His commission. Make it your high ambition to “feel His Wind.”

As a young Air Force pilot I was taught to always land “into the wind.” This enabled you to have greater control over the plane and maintain a higher power setting for emergencies. The tailwinds of the world are unpredictable, but you can always trust the headwinds of God. This tactic not only increases control over your plane but over your life as well. Just as a good pilot heads into a wind, Disciples are similarly warned not to “shrink back” in Hebrews 10:37-39. The phrase “shrink back” is a naval term which means not to strike or pull down your sails when the strong winds come upon you. Don’t fear the wind … face it! As the poem* puts it, “'Tis the set of the sails/ And not the gales,/ That tells the way we go.” How you “set the sails” as the Captain directs will determine your course in life! Don’t “shrink back”!

Thank you, my beloved brother Manuel. You marked me for life! May my final testimony about my earth journey be summed up in your impassioned words, “The Wind got me!”

*“'Tis the Set of the Sail -- or -- One Ship Sails East” by Ella Wheeler Wilcox, 1916


1 comment:

Unknown said...

thank you again HD. Your passion and your love for the Lord Jesus is contagious and I love reading this Bullets for the Battle.