Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Bullet of Hanging There: I Want to be More Ready for More Cross!

Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed. When they came to the place called the Skull, there they crucified him, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left.” Luke 23:32-33

Yes! Let us, too, learn “how to hang” with His praise on our lips and His promises in our heart … regardless of our circumstances. Let us be ready for the crosses of following in His steps. Let us then speak quickly to our Lord with that one critical request … that greatest confession that can ever come from human lips: “My Master … as I suffer from my own stupidities and the cruelties of an arrogant, hateful and blind world … don’t forget me … please include me … at that right time … when all will know … that you alone … are the King … and everything … on earth and in heaven … is your Kingdom! Please qualify me … your undeserving and unworthy servant … to be a part of it!” (Luke 23:42, HDM).

Could this criminal escape from his cross? Never! He was nailed for life. Could he triumph over it? Maybe later! When the Godhead had the final word in the age to come! Could he think above it? Yes! Now! He saw and heard in Jesus the purposes of heaven overcoming the forces of earth in the Master’s hanging and in the Master’s Voice. His heart was ignited for truth! That Voice was to him alone as his request was answered! And it was enough to seal his destiny! He could now share in the same overcoming decision our Lord had made when He accepted His cup! To “think above” is to “put” the world, yourself and the Lord in perfect perspective. Any suffering for Christ is never unto death but unto life! We know that radical reality empowers us to endure anything.

Our first and greatest single act and habit on earth is never to be connected to other people. It is first to learn how to be alone with God. Now! It is to “act on ourselves” by realizing that our primary purpose for all decisions on earth should focus on creating a “praise heart of joy” for Messiah Jesus! To be alone on our cross next to Jesus on His cross is to be alone with God and taste what was the most climatic redemptive moment of human history! This touch of wonder causes us to fall on our face in our inner heart with tears of gratitude in our eyes, with praise on our lips, with His mysteries in our mind, with His grace and truth in our vision and with a passion to yield all of our spirit to His adoration and pleasure!

We can truly seek and practice being overwhelmed by His Presence. These are those high and unspeakable moments when we know we possess peace with God, experience the peace of God and are ready to share with others our peace from God. This must have been our Lord’s heart that night before His crucifixion when He said to His few remaining followers, “…You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me” (John 16:32).

As the Savior perceived this “repentant man’s heart of faith” on the cross, He made the response that will echo through eternity to all who will call His name and yield to Him as Lord: “Truly … I tell you my new friend … today … with Me … you will be … in the paradise … of My Father” (Luke 23:43, HDM). Our dear Savior recently spoke to me at this point in my morning Quiet Time (I call it Praise Time) and gave me the same promise: “Today H, you will see again the wonders of My will, My ways, My perfection, My mysteries, if you will keep hanging with Me! You will learn the dignity, deliverance, contentment, grandeur and majesty of the privilege of suffering with Me and for Me! Test yourself to be sure it is for Me! Be sure it isn’t for you! It is when you suffer this world with Me and for Me that you hear My Voice most clearly. It is then you will be more convinced than ever about the redemption and perfection to be revealed! Let us endure this fallen earth together and do it for the significance and glory of “our Father.” Someday you will understand how it could please Him to allow both of us to hang here. I promise you that after it is all over, we will see the light of life and be satisfied (Is. 53:10-11).”

“Think about it, H! Your highest and most empowering path for living is not to ‘escape from’ your crosses and afflictions or even to ‘triumph over’ your problems or opponents. No! My exalted answer for you concerning your cross is to do what you saw Me do on My cross … ‘think above it!’”

Yes! Today! In the NOW! I am ready my Master! At least I want to be ready! Or at the very least, I want to be more ready! My eyes are open while I’m hanging and they are looking at You! We should all remember that we can endure in praise through any darkness if we keep looking in His direction and speaking His Name! It is then we become candidates for the gift of life’s greatest force for following Jesus … “thinking above!” To do so will “put” your finite existence in touch with the Savior’s infinite purposes!

Let the light of Your Face shine upon us, Oh Lord.” Psalm 4:6-8

My heart says to you … ‘seek His face!’ Your Face, Lord, will I seek.” Psalm 27:8

“… set your hearts on things above … set your minds on things above.” Colossians 3:1-2

Don’t ignore this wonderful reality! We can “hang” anywhere we are in praise so long as we keep “thinking above” and looking at His Face!

No comments: