Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Bullet of Forgiveness: The New Start

We at Ventures hope you enjoyed your holidays and are ready to launch into a New Year. Let’s begin 2008 with some thoughts on forgiveness.

I heard an old proverb once that says, “Too quick we get old and too late we get smart.” That goes for all of us. No one fully escapes the heartbreaking blunders of their ignorance and immaturity. Sometimes, I feel like a turtle racing at the “Indianapolis 500” when it comes to mature living. I’ve done so many stupid things; uttered many words I wish I could take back; ignored folks I should have loved; not taken time to be a good neighbor; showed too little patience in understanding other people, etc., etc.

In so many ways, I wish I could start all over again and strive to be more like Christ. But I can’t. None of us can. There is only one good answer to all our mistakes and sins of the past. Forgiveness!! A lot of folks in town have hurt and disappointed me just as I have them. But playing the game of “who hurt who most” and “whose fault is it” always results in a dead end. Jesus Christ says there is only one way to begin again and that’s to forgive. In fact, He told His followers to forgive and freely as God has forgiven you” (Colossians 3:13; Ephesians 4:32) and to “love others as I have loved you” (John 15:12). That’s a heap of love and forgiveness!

No comments: