Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Bullet of Time: A Thirty-Hour Day (Part 1)

Someone has well remarked that “busyness” is the great sin of our age! Even those who supposedly have everything don’t have the time to enjoy it! Comments of “I’m too busy,” “I’m too far behind,” “When I find the time,” “This week is too rushed,” etc., seem to be on the increase as never before! The great prayer of our age could easily be … “If I only had more time!”

The greatest lesson God has ever taught me about time came as a result of a phone conversation with another church member. In concluding the call the good lady commented … “Pastor, you’re so busy. You need thirty hours in a day!” I used my most humble voice denying this and mumbled something about all of us needing more time. After hanging up the receiver, however, I leaned back in my chair, meditated on my self-appointed importance, the critical nature of my work and decided that I did need thirty hours a day! I was joyfully meditating on all I was going to accomplish in this “extra” time when the Truth of God, in its usual fashion, blew my mind with a different thought! God’s voice seemed to speak to me saying … “what an oversight on My part! When I created the twenty-four hour day, I didn’t anticipate that H.D. McCarty would come along and need thirty!!” ZAP! BOOM! POW! What a shot!

Then the truth began to dawn. When returning from Israel many years ago I experienced one of those “thirty-hour days.” We flew and flew with the sun, and it never got dark! It took me a week to recover my lost sleep from only one “thirty-hour” day!

No comments: