Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Bullet of Wisdom: The End of the Matter

Is a man’s value determined by what he makes of himself?

Anyone with any sense ought to desire the maximum of his or her life. I have a passion to live life to the fullest, discover its greatest joys, explore its deepest satisfactions, carry love, hope and meaning to the most people, and above all, to experience the exhilarating joy of knowing God on earth!

But how? Thousands of voices and philosophies are peddling their claims. Who or what is right? The witness of thousands of Christians (including my own) is, that we have discovered that when we place our confidence and trust in Christ, we are never disappointed (Romans 9:33 and 10:11). I can say without exception that I have never been disappointed when I believed God’s Word about some activity, pursuit or decision. On the other hand, my life is filled with “wrecks of the past,” when I lean on my own limitations and immature goals.

King Solomon was a man who tried everything and had everything. Read the book of Ecclesiastes for a real dip into exiting reality literature! He tried wisdom, pleasure and the good life. He said he got everything he laid his eyes on. Still, he wasn’t happy. His final witness to avoid futility and “blowing in the wind,” was to love God and obey His teachings.

I’m convinced of one thing. If I’m going to really make something of my life I must get the basics right. For me … and thousands of Christians like me, that “basic” is Jesus Christ. We’re not completed yet, and there are many imperfections, but we are in process.

Remember the old adage, “close only counts in horseshoes?” I don’t want to stop at being a “horseshoe!” How about you?

The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil. Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

No comments: